Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero Cicero is offline

Default Cheapie power planer - recommendations please ??

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 18:10:07 +0000, Adrian wrote:

Hi John

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 17:42:12 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

Adrian wrote:

Oh c'mon - you can't leave it like that ! g

Any hints or tips ??

ISTR that the one our builder chappie had was simply set up with a
'depth' dial at the front, also some kind of a fence for rebating.

What other subtleties do I need to be aware of ?

This will keep you going for a bit:

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/plane.htm

fairy nuff - all good points - especially the bit about the carrot in the
food processor !
thanks for the link !

Interesting that the faq mentions power-planers are good on mdf /
chipboard - got some mdf cupboard doors to manufacture next week - also a
new kitchen worktop - sounds like I need a power-planer !

I know it sounds kind of 'Irish' - but I was considering planing off
the material at the hinge side of the door - on the grounds that the
new parliament hinges require a different 'rebate' to the originals,
and that any slight innacuracies in the planing will be less noticeable
if they're on the hinge-side of the door. Also saves messing with the
lock mechanism.

Nope that is a fine and sensible way to do it - usualy simper to recut
hinge rebates than having to remount the latch assembly (especially if it
has a keyhole!)

snipped

Mark the limit of your cut with a pencil mark on both sides of the door
and take several small cuts rather than one big one. Check the edge
of the door for square as you get close to your pencil marks and correct
as necessary. If you don't finish with a square edge it will be
difficult to get your hinges to lie properly.

Cic.

--
Testing UBUNTU Linux