Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default Cheapie power planer - recommendations please ??

Hi Andy

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 17:43:20 +0000, Andy Hall

On 2006-11-19 17:32:00 +0000, Adrian said:

HI Dave

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 17:13:41 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

I'd not be without mine. Or hand planes come to that. Power planers need
skill to set up and use though - perhaps more so than many others.

Oh c'mon - you can't leave it like that ! g

Any hints or tips ??

ISTR that the one our builder chappie had was simply set up with a
'depth' dial at the front, also some kind of a fence for rebating.

What other subtleties do I need to be aware of ?

The main two are to make sure that the work is properly and firmly
supported and
then not to be too agressive with cutting depth.

It's far better to take off small cuts of 0.5mm than 2mm in one go
unless you have
a great deal of material to remove. It's easier to control the
machine, the motor isn't
strained and there is an opportunity to correct mistakes.

Sounds very sensible.....
I was going to clamp the door upright in my trusty workmate - maybe
even another clamp onto the sturdy wooden 'outside table' (which seems
to be getting a lot more use as a trestle than as a place to drink
afternoon tea, recently !)

I know it sounds kind of 'Irish'

You're in the right place for that (do they tell stories about Kerry men?)

Wouldn't know - & wouldn't dare comment - as everybody seems to either
'know' or 'be related to' everybody else round here. Anyway, we're in
Cork, rather than Kerry.... g

- but I was considering planing off
the material at the hinge side of the door - on the grounds that the
new parliament hinges require a different 'rebate' to the originals,
and that any slight innacuracies in the planing will be less
noticeable if they're on the hinge-side of the door. Also saves
messing with the lock mechanism.

Any reason I've overlooked why this isn't a Good Plan ?

I don't see why not unless you were removing a lot of material and a design on
the door ended up looking out of balance.

It's not more than 2 - 3 mm - so I don't think it's going to make an
awful lot of difference....

Thanks
Adrian