Posted to alt.energy.renewable,uk.d-i-y,uk.environment

Default Roof life, was Siting of panels for solar water heating

Joe Fischer wrote:
On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 10:09:37 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:
"Joe Fischer" wrote in message
.. .
snip

roofs don't usually last more than 15 or 20 years,

WHAT?

Our house was built in 1937 and has its original roof (plus solar water
heating panel). Most of the others houses on this estate are the same, the
few who have newer roofs have replaced them for reasons other than failure.
Mary

What kind of roof, slate or terra cotta tile, or metal?

I guess there are places where a kind of concrete
tiles are the most used.

Joe Fischer

Metal roofs are generally considered fit only for outbuildings here. I
dont agree, but I'm not the majority. The only folk putting metal roofs
on houses here are people with ancient buildings that have had them in
the past, and where the character is to be preserved. Having lived with
a corrugated metal roof I dont see a problem with them, and didnt mind
the rain noise, but few agree.

NT