Posted to alt.energy.renewable,uk.d-i-y,uk.environment
John Beardmore John Beardmore is offline

Default Siting of panels for solar water heating

In message , raden
writes
In message , John Beardmore
writes

I don't see what my folks signed for as being economically viable

No, but I think our clients divide into at least four categories.

People that want to save the world.

Well, they really aren't going to, are they

They've been taken in by the con

They certainly aren't going to save it single handed, and no doubt they
appreciate that, but they'd rather move towards solving the problem,
than gratuitously make it worse.

The reality is that the total energy demand of the UK is insignificant
when compared to that of the USA and the potential consumption of
China, India and other fast developing nations

Well - obviously we should all invest in patio heaters then !

One thing which I have not come across is anyone publishing the
manufacturing footprint i.e. energy require and CO2 created in
manufacturing the system, keeping the factory open, maintaining reps
cars, etc

I've not got an LCA to hand, but my understanding is that they have been
done for various renewables and they have been favourable.

I can't speak for other installers, but the ones I know of which are
small and local don't use reps, though the national ones that do,
presumably do so because it is more efficient financially - I can't say
if it's better environmentally.

One development in the UK is state intervention in the market to
accredit installers and equipment. Accredited products and installers
are listed centrally, so this cuts down on advertising and some other
overheads, and facilitates comparisons between installers and products,
as well as helping consumers identify who is local to them. Although
there are aspects of state intervention that are a pain in the bum such
as keeping some capable people out of the market place, for those of us
that are accredited, it does make us easy to find and reduce some of our
overheads.

People that like interesting toys.

FSVO interesting

?

People that want to set an educational example.

probably

People that want to save money.

Given that the only realistic saving is in hot water (an optimistic
70%), not house heating (when it's REALLY required) or cooking

and seeing the cost of these systems (£5k) I fail to see how most
people would see a payback in less than 10 years

I don't think we've ever charged more than £3,700 for a domestic system,
and that was 7.2 sqm of evacuated tubes which is on the large side after
all.

All three seem worthy in one respect or another.

Not really

Well - ymmv.

Another category may
also creep in.

People that follow fashion.

I remember hearing last week "Solar heating is the double glazing of
the 21st century"

... sounds about right to me

Well - in the sense that some installers are trying to sell systems in
the 6,000 to 12,000 range I agree, but how many people these days would
choose to revert to single glazing, especially given recent fuel price
increases ?

Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore