Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default Cheapie power planer - recommendations please ??

HI Another Dave

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 16:07:41 +0000, Another Dave
wrote:

Adrian wrote:
Hi
I need a mains-powered planer to take about 3 - 4 mm off the long edge
of a solid (softwood) interior door.

Door used to fit fine - but then I installed parliament hinges (the
sort that fold back through 180 degrees) - and the result is that the
latch side of the door now binds due to the pivot point of the hinges
now being about 1.5" 'behind' the door.

I can't see myself needing the planer very often - so am reluctant to
spend much more than 50 UK pounds.

I've just planed 4 doors exactly like this. I used a hand plane I
inherited when my father-in law died 25 years ago. Job took 30 minutes
at most for all 4 doors. I'm 64 years old. Are you sure you need a power
planer?

Another Dave

You're right - perhaps 'need' was a bit OTT g

If I said, " I'd be more confident that I could do the job & end up
with a decent square finish using a power planer" than that's probably
nearer the truth g

If it was only a gnats that required removing then I'd be using my
little metal-soled Stanley plane - bought about 25 years ago and
probably not used more than half a dozen times since....

The biulder chappie who sorted some things for us in the last house
used a power-plane to fit the new doors, and I remember thinking then
'what a useful gadget' - but haven't needed one in the intervening 5
years - hence the reluctance to shell out large amounts of cash...

Did think of using the router, against a clamped-on guide, but the
deepest router bit I have isn't wide enough to do the job in one
pass... and a circular saw is a possibility, but the (cheap !) one I
have has a very coarse blade and would probably require planing again
to finish off.....

Thanks for the comments, anyway - sounds as if Callum may be able to
help me out.... g

Regards
Adrian
in wild, wet and windy West Cork