Posted to alt.energy.renewable,uk.d-i-y,uk.environment
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default Roof life, was Siting of panels for solar water heating

On 2006-11-19 14:05:05 +0000, "Dave Liquorice" said:

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 10:24:50 -0000, Mary Fisher wrote:

We have all of those apart from hurricanes,

We've had the odd one .... and several tail ends.

I guess it depends how you define "hurricane". Is it the simple
Beaufort Scale sustained winds of over 72mph (*not* gusts) at a given
place or a real hurricane or typhoon, driven by warm Sea Surface
Temperatures.
26C is about the lowest SST required for huricanes to maintain

themselves having formed over warmer water. The waters around the UK
are pushed to get above 15C. Also bear in mind hurricanes are *HUGE*,
thier sheer size never really comes across in the news reports.

If the eye of yer average hurricane passed over Manchester, you would
have sustained winds 72mph from the South Lakes to North Birmingham
and Tropical Storm force winds (39mph) from Glasgow to London. The
destruction this would bring to the UK would be treemendous. It would
make the '87 look like a gentle breeze.

Ah, but if you've ever had the misfortune to watch local TV in the U.S.
you would have seen that anything more than the gentlest breeze is a
storm and that a tree falling over is major destruction.