Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default On finials and lids

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 21:01:15 -0600, Prometheus wrote:

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 00:58:32 -0800, "William Noble"
wrote:

you may wish to eschew polyurethanes - they don't feel right (at least to
me) - lacquer or just oil, and carnuba wax has a much nicer feel - urethanes
are kinda soft and sticky feeling (again, my opinion, ymmv)

Definately an opinion- I actually like spar poly for most of my stuff.
The only finish I prefer is shellac, even though it smells like a wet
dog when sanding and isn't very good for anything that has a chance of
getting wet.

Deft is good stuff, too.

Going out on a limb here- even though I do finish things with wax only
sometimes, doing that feels, well, waxy. And, much stickier feeling
to my paws than a thin coat of a decent poly.

If poly feels "sticky" it might be the formulation (some are softer than
others) or there might be something preventing it from curing (I've seen
some brands take a month to cure on some woods) or it might be
outdated or have been stored at excessive temperature resulting in an
inability to cure properly.

I don't notice a lot of difference in "feel" between, say wipe-on Minwax,
and bare wood taken to an equal level of polish (if the bare wood will take
that kind of polish). Sand LV to 12,000 grit and polish with its own oil
and the result doesn't look or feel a whole lot different from Corian.

--
X:\Newsreaders\sig.txt