Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default Solid Counter top for the DIY

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 08:06:13 -0700, Willi
wrote:

I want to put in a Corian type countertop in my kitchen. However, I
discovered that the ones I found locally (Corain etc ) aren't available
for the DIY.

Any products available for the DIY?

Hey Willi-

I haven't priced out Corian lately, but if Rob says it's directly
competing with Granite, I know you can get a granite slab for DIY
applications. Found a place a while back (though I don't have the
link anymore) that will ship you a rough slab (with a finished top)
complete with instructions for machining it using woodworking tools.
(IIRC, it required a circular saw with an abrasive blade installed,
and some masonry bits) Still too expensive for my budget, but it
might be just the ticket for you. Probably find it locally if you've
got a headstone carver near you as well.

Probably have to use a top-mount sink if you go that route, but at
least it's available- and it's really nice.