Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default Magnetic Featherboards

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 10:09:15 +0100, Ogee wrote:

Prometheus wrote:
On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 18:50:00 +0100, Ogee wrote:

But there's also this model to consider:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...34&cat=1,43000

I've used this style, and they work great- it was a different brand,
but I don't imagine you have much to worry about with a LV product.

Yes. it would probably do the job, but what's nice about the other
product is the ability to switch the magnets on/off.
Anybody know how that's done?

I don't know about on/off "switches", but there are a number of
magnets that will release by pulling them away from the table with a
lever or handle. Usually used on pick-up tools. The type LV sells is
fairly easy to remove by 'rotating' the magnet away from the table- it
just won't slide easily.

Guess it's something like in these magnetic bases:
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=1666

I'm tempted to buy a Magswitch featherboard and open it just to
see how they do it...