Posted to rec.woodworking
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default David Thiel.

On 18 Nov 2006 12:50:21 -0800, wrote:

As you read magazine articles and watch TV shows for information about
woodworking (or any technical subject), keep in mind that most of the
people involved are Journalists with an interest in woodworking. They
are very rarely woodworkers (or anyone with a technical degree) who
have an interest in woodworking. I have offered my expertise as a free
technical consultant to Beth (and to a few woodworking magazine
editors) in an effort to raise their technical competence (and my own
reputation). Unfortunately, no takers yet.

Oh? I always thought David Marks seemed like a really stand-up sort
of guy. Same with that Underhill fella, though I only saw his show
once. The older guy on "The router workshop" seems to know his stuff-
though I don't think I'd let his kid touch anything of mine.

You have to apply the same rule to tv as anything else- 95% of
everything is crap. The producers are just trying to cater to people
who know nothing, but have an interest in learning a thing or two,
because that's where the market is. Overly technical information is
likely to go right over the head of an average viewer.

Just keep building that nice website of yours (and I'm not being
sarcastic- it's a good site.) If there's a market for your expertise,
people will eventually find it, though it sometimes takes a quite a
while. There really aren't that many good nuts-and-bolts how-to sites
on the internet, and putting the time in to make one- which I can see
you're willing to do, almost certainly boosts your sales.

Though I have been meaning to ask you something-

Why isn't there a jointer/planer aligner product? While I'm unsure
about personally needing a Ts-aligner, I would certainly be
interested in a tool that could help set jointer and planer blades
without slicing and dicing my fingertips, and help adjust
infeed/outfeed tables to eliminate snipe. Those are the really touchy
tools that can really use some help, IMO. Get one of those on the
market, and I'm in.

Just a thought.