Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy Robatoy is offline

Default Solid Counter top for the DIY

On Nov 18, 11:52 pm, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Somebody wrote: Sounds more like you don't want to have to compete with someone who
might underbid you.

If somebody wants to duplicate my investment in the necessary
equipment and supplies as well as the additional manpower investment
in field in what the manufacturer appears to consider mandatory
training of my personnel (Or is that just another way of defining an
apprentice program?), they are welcome to do it.

After making that investment, they are welcome to compete for business
in my market area since we will both be on relatively equal footing.

Happens every day.

Well said, Lew. However, this town of 70,000 with a total population if
you include the whole county, of maybe 125,000 people, will not support
two fabricating shops. In that respect, the manyfacturers look at me as
if I am a franchise.
Anybody who would gear up to make the neccessary investments, would
know that there wouldn't be room for two.
If somebody from the next town over (London) called me for a quote, I'd
refer them to a fabricator I know who will do a good job at a good
price.... in London. He paid to play, he ante'd up, he spend the time
to learn the ins and outs, he's every bit as good at it as I am (maybe
better).

We have one Honda dealer here and I can't for the life of me imagine
two.