Posted to alt.home.repair
cavedweller cavedweller is offline

Default Measuring the grade of a patio

cavedweller wrote:
Dick Adams wrote:
What are some simple ways to measure the grade of my patio?

Without ranting and raving, I contract with a quality reputation
company to put it in and they subcontracted it to a fly-by-night
contractor who appears to use day laborers. I want the measurements
in hand when I go after them.

One constraint is my wife will have to do all the bending because
I have two slugs of concrete holding my spine together. Since
she is not mechanically inclined, it needs to be as simple as
possible and sill be accurate.

I did try the string method, but we had communication problems.
Maybe I just need a neighbor to help me do it.

Constructive suggestions are always valued.

Dick

How about just using a 4' bubble level (after all, how big is your
patio?). If it's level, there's no slope. If it slopes, shim the one
end until it IS level. The thinkness of the shim, divided by 4, is the
slope per foot. Check a few spots.

Who do you intend to go after? The prime contractor with the "quality
reputation" should be more than willing to come out and verify the job
his sub did...and in your presence.

Everybody knows what "thinkness" is, right?