Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Cat in the furnace

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Another look into my life
=======================

A couple weeks ago, a firned of mine had a kitten which fell into the
heater duct. She called the fire department, who came out and took the
duct apart. And left it in pieces. I got to put it back together.

Well, she called again. Thinks a different cat went downt he duct
(from second floor bathroom, no less). I'm out the door to rescue the
cat. ths time without fail we screw some covers over the duct, to
cover the vent. Or maybe staple some screen or something like that.

======================
Figuring this was another one of the same, I took apart the same duct
I'd put back together the last time. No signs of cat, in the seven
inch round duct. I followed that back to the furnace, there was a
patch piece of metal over where there used to be a humidifier. So, I
started to take that apart. I looked in as best possible, no cat. Went
out to the truck and got my miror, and used that to look into the heat
exchanger, and back through the duct. No cat.

Gwen asked if the cat might be in the heater. Not likely, but I did
pull the cover panel off. No cat by the burners. I pulled the lower
panel, which exposed the circuit board, and the blower fan. Look in
with my mini mag, and surprise!

Cat looking back at me.... and blast, I didn't have my camera with me.
That was a total Kodak moment.

I talked to the cat for a moment, and Gwen came over. She was pleased
the cat was still alive. She reached in, and pulled the cat out. They
went upstairs to get the cat a drink of water, and some to eat.

I put the furnace covers back on, and also the duct back together. I'd
brought some screen wire to staple over the vents. And screwed shut a
part of the vent that was open, in the back. Hope not to do this
again.

Hmmm,
What kinda house has that kinda duct work? I have 3 cats in the house.
Will never happen here. Sounds like a unsafe house there wherever that
is. Buy the cat a tread mill, LOL!