Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling Ian Stirling is offline

Default Best energy savers

Steve Firth wrote:
On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 13:39:20 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Steve Firth wrote:
One advantage seems to be that they produce less heat. I've used CFL
replacements for R25 spots in fittings at Mrs F's shop and also in the
house. The only headache IMO is that despite the claims, a 14W CFL does
not provide as much light as a 25W incandescent bulb.

In theory it should produce more light - as less than double isn't one of
the extravagant claims.

These claims are always made for CFL and I have yet to find one that is as
bright as the incandescent it is claimed to replace. The 25W CFL Globes
that I have in my wife's shop are dimmer than 40W incandescent bulbs.

A light meter will almost certainly disagree.

Some CFL spots are _horrible_ in performance though, and do indeed
produce a fraction of the light.