Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default odd light dimming issue?

Nate Nagel wrote:

Well, I got a little more money than I was expecting to this week, so
last night I went out and bought some more tools that I thought I'd be
using a lot... I've realized that there are a few tools that I've
always had access to but never bought for myself, that now I have to buy
because I have my own place and I'd like to be able to do work here...
anyway, I got myself a new Sawzall and a 4-1/2" angle grinder, among
other things. This AM I just plugged them in and ran them to make sure
they worked before throwing out the packaging. The girlie yelled down
from upstairs, "you know, when you turn that on, the lights dim up
here..." WTF? I was using them in a 20A kitchen counter receptacle
which has nothing else on the circuit. The 15A lighting circuit for
upstairs is completely separate (and may or may not be on the same
phase, I don't remember.) Is this an issue, and what could cause it?
I'm guessing poor neutral connection at the panel?

Granted I did buy a real honest-to-god Milwaukee Sawzall and a good
Milwaukee angle grinder, not some cheap lightweight crap, but I think
both are rated at 10A which I would assume a 12/2 branch circuit would
handle no problem.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

It may be normal, but it wouldn't hurt to spend some time going around
the house pulling outlets and switches and tightening connections along
with the connections in the main panel and any sub panels. It may be a
bit tedious, but you might find some developing problems.

Pete C.