Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod LRod is offline

Default David Thiel.

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 08:27:49 GMT, "CW" wrote:

Is this guy related to Bob Villa? I had never seen him before watching him
on the DIY website. In the few shows I've watched, I've seen him demonstrate
extremely unsafe practices and very bad work. Is this the norm for this guy?

I don't care much for his presentation, and I've found some of the
things he does to be questionable, but I know at least one fellow
who's been to a Marc Adams class with him who found him to be very
personable. He posts periodically over on WoodCentral and seems like a
nice guy--not at all the dick that Vila is. I realize that has nothing
to do with unsafe practices and very bad work.

Keep in mind that the TV hosts are not in complete control of what is
aired. Even David Marks told me that the producers often wanted him to
do things in the name of expedience that he wasn't comfortable with.
He mentioned they wanted him to do a glueup that in real life was a
ten or fifteen minute job in forty seconds because that was the time
allocated in their schedule. After unsuccessfully arguing with them,
he just did it the real way and let them "fix it in post" as they say.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.