Posted to uk.d-i-y
notpastityet? notpastityet? is offline

Default Best energy savers

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message

If everyone were to buy new stuff now, it'd be lots more energy
efficient.
(in general).
For example, I have a fridge and a freezer.
Replacing with a new combined unit, with the same amount of space would
save some 50 quid a year - according to measurements, and pay back in
maybe 4 years.
It's almost not possible to buy a freezer as inefficient as I have at
the moment.

I recently got rid of my 30+ year old fridge for a rate A new one. I was
shouted at by the LA refuse disposal dept for daring to change my
appliances! They said my doing so was causing great damage to the earth and
it was not " green" of me!

So stuck between a stone and a hard place as they say. Buy new to save
energy and be told you are wasting the planet with your items of disposal or
keep the old and be inefficient.

By the way I brought my new fridge because my old one gave up the ghost (
blew up!)

Maybe I should not have replaced the appliance at all. That would be much
greener now wouldn't it?
Better still , had I not bought a fridge in the first place back in the
1970's. there would be no need to dispose of it , worn out as it is, now.
Another saving...... but what about the jobs of those folk who make them?

Can I win? Nah! So I dont bother.