Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling Ian Stirling is offline

Default Best energy savers

Huge wrote:
On 2006-11-18, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On 18 Nov 2006 00:26:28 -0800, wrote:

So I'd buy one of each type of bulb you want, and try them before
buying any more.

And end up with a load of bulbs that you don't want to use. B-)

Asking in here is a good way to find out which ones produce decent
quality light. I replaced the 6 x 40w candles with GEC 9W TBX/XM "Tech
Extra Mini" CFLs, they actually have meaningful data on the packaging:
2700K, 480Lm (the 40W tungsten were rated at 390Lm). I did try one as a
match with tungsten after they where recomended in here and it is pretty
close.

I'd like to replace the bulb in our lobby with a CFL, but it's a
glass globe fitting, with no ventilation - filament bulbs last
noticeably less time in that fitting than others. Are CFLs reasonably
resistant to heat? I guess I could replace the fitting, too, but
that lengthens the pay-back time even more.

The tubes themselves, yes.
However, the electronics tend to drop in life by around half every
increase by 10C.

Depending on design et al, might removing the globe, and replacing with
a large globe CFL, something like
http://www.ryness.co.uk/ProductDetai...?ProductID=904 or
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products..._source=kelkoo
? work.