Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Best energy savers

In article ,
Huge writes:
I'd like to replace the bulb in our lobby with a CFL, but it's a
glass globe fitting, with no ventilation - filament bulbs last
noticeably less time in that fitting than others. Are CFLs reasonably
resistant to heat? I guess I could replace the fitting, too, but
that lengthens the pay-back time even more.

The electronics in a compact fluorescent will be more likely
to fail at higher temperatures. Generally, the life of such
electronic components halves with each 10C rise in temperature.
However, failure of the electronics in compact fluorescents is
rare, so it's certainly not the case that a 10C temperature
rise will half the lamp life. I suspect you'll find that even
if the lamp life is significantly reduced, you'll still cover
the payback period easily, given how cheaply they can be found
nowadays.

--
Andrew Gabriel