Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Inline Crimps

Andy Hall wrote:
On 2006-11-18 10:59:43 +0000, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

John Rumm wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

2] Cut out small damaged section of cable, use cable crimps to re
join, bury in new plaster. There is enough slack to do this.
Simplest option, cheapest for customer.

So long as you use heatshrink to insulate each wire, and a second
layer to insulate the whole join then you will be fine. It helps if
you cut each wire a different length such that you don't end up with
a bunch of crimps beside each other which will make getting the
overall heatshrink on a tad trickey!

Thanks for your good advice as usual John, but I'm now a little
confused! How do you go about fitting heatshrink to each wire? Each wire
still
has its own insulation apart from the bit inside the crimp. Or do
you mean heatshrink just over the crimp? Or would you pull the
heatshrink back, make the crimp & then allow it to spring back?

I do see the point about staggering the crimps - good tip.

Perhaps I'm having a blond moment :-)

Well Gloria...... ;-)

Only on Friday nights............

You can get heatshrink sleeve with hot melt glue inside. RS sell it
among others. Unshrunk size bigger than outer cable insulation - one
size is suitable for 1mm^2 to 2.5mm^2 so no need to buy different
ones. 4mm^2 and above needs a bigger size probably.

Yup, I'm with you.

Slide a length longer than the total length of the joint - i.e.
lengths of the (now) single insulated sections plus the crimps and a
bit more to overlap onto the cable outer insulation at each end - over
one cable before you start. Make crimps as described. Slide sleeve
over the whole lot and apply heat from heat gun.

Yup, got that, but I thought John was suggesting each individual wire should
be heat shrinked and then the whole lot heat shrinked?

Where did I put that peroxide...........

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman