Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Default Vacuum cleaner

professorpaul wrote:
We have a couple of Oreks. Bought one at store, the other refurbished
over the Internet (for upstairs, so we don't have to cart it up and
down).

I thought their claim to fame is that they're super light so carting
them around is easy.

We live at the DE shore on the Atlantic ocean. LOTS of sand
(small furry dog, grandchildren, etc.). Picks things up as nice as you
please. However, on shag carpet (one bedroom), it is a trifle difficult
to push, as there is no self-propel feature. On tighter carpets,
floors, you can't beat it. Local outlet here, so no problem getting
bags, a spare belt, etc. Have had it for about 5 years now, and no
problems. Simple design is good...

FWIW, I use a Hoover commercial model I bought for ten bucks at the
bankruptcy sale of a local merchant, and it works just fine. I'm not
convinced all the allegedly high tech models can beat old fashioned
reliability.