Larry Jaques

Default Hydraulics questions (a bit long)

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 11:21:05 -0500, "don schad"
brought forth from the murky depths:

Hi all,

Thanks for all the help/suggestions. It's very much appreciated.

I'll take the liberty to ask another question while we are he

There has been a lot of talk about having things sized properly such that
the system is controllable. Is proper sizing just a question of making some
assumptions and doing the math?
For example, lets say that I wanted the loader to go from the ground to the
full-up position in 3 seconds (is this too fast? too slow?).

I'm not an engineer and don't play one on TV or the net, but...

Probably too fast. Add in calcs for mass/velocity/stress. With
a load, your 3-second rate would probably make your loader do
a reverse wheelie before bouncing back and dropping the load
on your head. You're building a loader, not a trebuchet, right?

That's just a f'rinstance. Calculations will tell you a bit more
closely whether the load@velocity will overstressthe beams and/or
unbalance the tractor.

Grab a rigging book from the library. I just returned Rossnagel's
"Handbook of rigging, for construction and industrial operations"
to the library as I didn't have time to go through the thing,
but it looked interesting. Any book on hydraulic design might
be of help, too.

CAUTION: Driver Legally B l o n d (e)
http://www.diversify.com Web Database Development