Posted to sci.electronics.repair
fredrickew fredrickew is offline

Default -27volts from a PC power supply

Hi all, this may sound like a rookie question, but here goes:

I have a faulty Mustek r100a DVD recorder. Having traced the problem to
the power supply (where the majority of problems in these machines
are), I quickly proceeded to fry several components in my efforts to
repair it. At this point, I am thinking it might just be easier to
substitute a PC power supply for the original one.

This should be **fairly** easy to do, as the supply rails are quite
similar. The DVD recorder uses the following rails: +5v, +12v, +3.3v,
and -27v. Obviously the first two can be handled straight from the pc
supply, but the others will require some circuitry. I assume the 3.3v
can be handled by simply using a series diode of the right value, but
it is the -27v that I don't know how to create.

If someone could give some pointers or a circuit suggestion it would be
much appreciated.

Regards,
Jonathan