Posted to alt.energy.renewable,uk.d-i-y,uk.environment
John Beardmore John Beardmore is offline

Default Siting of panels for solar water heating

In message , raden
writes
In message , John
Beardmore writes
) 70% of hot water, not central heating or gas for cooking, it's
patently impossible for it to be viable

Yes, though pay back time is not the only reason people invest in
things.

What's the pay back time on a new car or a new kitchen ?

No idea in your circumstances, but it is less well defined than solar

Yes - but my point is that for people to make a purchase, it need not
be defined at all !

Solar panels have a reasonably well spec'd return

Agreed, but some people buy them for other reasons.

I don't see what my folks signed for as being economically viable

No, but I think our clients divide into at least four categories.

People that want to save the world.

People that like interesting toys.

People that want to set an educational example.

People that want to save money.

All three seem worthy in one respect or another. Another category may
also creep in.

People that follow fashion.

Still - I suppose their CO2 is as bad as anybody elses, and every
little helps !

Cheers, J/.
--
John Beardmore