Posted to uk.d-i-y
notpastityet? notpastityet? is offline

Default Best energy savers

"Staffbull" wrote in message
ups.com...

Ian Stirling wrote:
Staffbull wrote:

Cheers, just calculated the "standby" costs of the stuff in the house,
comes up to around £25 -£30 a year, fairly surprising but I cant see
why the govt is banging on about that without pushing energy efficiant
lighting first

calculator here
http://www.tvec.org.uk/Energy_calc_2.asp

Maybe because it doesnt work in all cases? The idea assumes a high
proportion of equipment such as Hi Fi ( I was surprised at the consumption
of Hi Fi equipment, well maybe its because I dont have any!)

For someone such as myself who has a duel tariff economy 7 meter standby is
charged at 2p through the night so its far less than most realise. I dont
keep my TV, DVD or Video on standby ( unless I am using the video to record
overnight which is rare anyway). So energy saving limited.

I dont keep lights on in my house so again saving is limited. I still find
low energy bulbs a bit dull ( old age and I cant read in the dimmer light
they most definitely in my view produce).

I suspect a lot of energy is used by relatively few and many like me are
using a lot less than propaganda suggests. This has to be an if the cap fits
scenario.

There are also many other things I could moan about with this energy drive.
I was washing all my clothes on 30 wash ( to save energy). I save more money
washing on 40 or 60 and doing overnight and my clothes are cleaner.

I stopped the 30 degrees washes when my clothes came out stinking!!!!!!
Sweat is not removed at 30 degrees. Tell the story to someone who hasn't
tried it . Of course I dont use a bio washing power because its not
environmentally friendly, maybe thats the reason they stink at 30 degrees.
But stink they do. Give me a good clean boil wash any day.

Cleanliness is next to Godliness and its kills all sorts of nasties too.
Keep your energy efficiency for me.