Posted to uk.d-i-y
Staffbull Staffbull is offline

Default Best energy savers

Ian Stirling wrote:
Staffbull wrote:
I'm going round the house replacing all with energy efficient lighting,
anyone have any views as to which are the best ? Osram, Phillips etc,
I will be changing two "chandelier" type thingies which have five 40W
candles in em for a pendant with probably 20w energy efficient numbers,
the one in the lounge has to stay as it cost a small fortune so i'm
gonna stick 5 7w candles in there and do away with three dimmers.

Well.
Phillips ones - some of them - have 6 year guarantees.
Look for lumen output on the packet - and compute the lumens per watt,
to get efficiency. (usually around 50lm/W, for linear 4' tubes it'll hit
100.)

If a light is usually on under 3 or so mins, it's not a net saving - the
extra switching will probably kill the bulb _well_ before its nominal
life, normal filliment bulb is prolly a better idea.

Cheers, just calculated the "standby" costs of the stuff in the house,
comes up to around £25 -£30 a year, fairly surprising but I cant see
why the govt is banging on about that without pushing energy efficiant
lighting first

calculator here
http://www.tvec.org.uk/Energy_calc_2.asp