Posted to alt.home.repair
ng_reader ng_reader is offline

Default Solid Countertops for the DIY

"Willi" wrote in message
ng_reader wrote:
"Willi" wrote in message

I want to put in a solid countertop in my kitchen. However, I discovered
that the ones I found locally (Corain etc ) aren't available for the DIY.

I'm an experienced wood worker and this doesn't seem like a difficult
very difficult job especially in my case a straight run of about 10 feet.

Any products available for the DIY?

Willi

Probably none. But since these things can look like **** if done
improperly,

That's true with just about any job

valid point

the manufacturer has to maintain some degree of control over things that
are not under their control.

What if the manufacturers of everything ie drywall, floor tile etc etc did
this?

Well, you have to follow the money on this one. Solid suface material is
not made up of any expensive. In fact, the stuff that goes into it is quite
*inexpensive*. How do you get away with putting $20 of raw materials into
something and then charging $1000 for it? Answer: because you can.

My buddy is a handyman, and knows a deal when he sees one. He found some
solid surface stuff that was a bargain. Like $600 for a 8 foot section. My
research suggested the piece was fabricated in Saudi Arabia, and then
somehow found its way to the good ol USA and then undercut the DuPont stuff
by 30%.

What does it all mean? I don't really know.

But, to answer the first part of the question, this stuff supposedly can be
butt-jointed, sanded, and you have no way of knowing any seam existed. I
guess there is an "art" to that. Who knows.

The stuff from the middle east? Hi-Macs or something like that.

Good luck with the job.

Willi