Posted to sci.electronics.repair
ian field ian field is offline

Default Sharp EL5100 calculator.

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 16:52:27 +0000, ian field Has Frothed:

Anyone know what causes dark clouds to gather along the top edge of the
LCD?!

This calculator has been sitting on a shelf for years and when I tried to
use it found the batteries were flat, the seals had begun to sweat a
little
and my first though was electrolyte contamination. Careful examination
showed the slight leakage was more or less confined to the individual
button
cell compartments, the LCD internally has a Cd plated metal surround
which
was pristine - no evidence of electrolyte contamination.

To make sure I dismantled the calculator and stuck all the buttons on
double
sided tape to keep them in the right order while I scrubbed the casing
with
detergent. The plastic window must be polarising as there was no sign of
the
clouds with this off the LCD.

Another thing that makes me doubt electrolyte contamination is the cause,
the various enunciators along the top edge of the LCD seem to cut an
overlap
out of the cloud effect. Ideas anyone?!

TIA.

I would say just a deterioration of the crystal due to air seeping in?

COOSN-266-06-25794

Would that clear around an active display segment? It seems more likely that
air ingress would cause complete and permanent malfunction in the affected
area. But then I'm obviously hoping its not air seepage!