Posted to sci.electronics.repair
n cook n cook is offline

Default Oscilloscope Ground Issue

rogersk8ter wrote in message
ups.com...
Im trying to scope a TV signal. Where should I ground the probe's
ground? Over the common ground on the PCB board? Isn't that a floating
ground?

There seems to be 30V ac with reference to the scope ground when I use
a VOM to measure voltage. Will it blow or damage the scope? Anyway to
prevent sending live current down the scope ground and blowing it up?
Thanks.

The first thing you do is obtain an isolation transformer 110/110V or
240/240V that allows TV to float up or down relative to the scope ground.
Second you learn about the potential (in both senses) dangers associated
with TVs

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England