Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Desert Rat Desert Rat is offline

Default HArbor Freight Lathe

I've used the HF laths, and as long as you don't expect to use it
everyday, it will hold up. My only grip is that the tolerences in the
bearings on the head and tail stock are sometimes a little sloppy.

My advise, buy what you can afford; put the money away and save up for
a better brand.

Art

On Nov 17, 11:23 am, Larry Blanchard wrote:
cyrille de Brebisson wrote:
HF has 2 set of tools, one with a wood handle and one, $10 more or so with a
deep burgondy red color handle and steel that look thiker.... they apear to
be of better quality... which one do you advise?When I bought mine years ago, the ugly burgundy handles were the high speed

steel ones - that's the ones you want. In case the color has changed, look
for "HSS" stamped on the blades.

A good first turning project is some replacement handles :-).

--
It's turtles, all the way down