Posted to rec.woodworking
Ogee Ogee is offline

Default Magnetic Featherboards

RicodJour wrote:

On Nov 17, 12:50 pm, Ogee wrote:
Howdy,
just wondering if anyone has any experience with these magnetic
featherboards:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx....us/prod01.htm

I'm considering buying one of them, should be useful for my Veritas
steel router table...

But there's also this model to consider:http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...34&cat=1,43000

So the question is, what's the best solution?
(And no, I do not want to make something out of wood, have already done
that and I'm not too happy about it).

Isn't this a woodworking newsgroup? You're not supposed to give up
after a try or two. Buy some rare earth magnets on eBay, mortise
spaces a bit larger and deeper than the magnets. Use epoxy to glue the
magnets in place and to cover the face of the magnet so there's no
metal exposed. 1/8" of epoxy cover is all you need. The nickel
coating on the magnets, and the magnets themselves, are a bit fragile.
I have some that are over ten years old and still doing fine.

Yeah, but do they have an on/off button...?
:-)