Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett Ed Sirett is offline

Default Slick marketing by Vaillant but it leaves me wondering.

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 00:21:35 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

Ed Sirett wrote:

Part of me is truly impressed with the design which makes a whole range of
models from the same production line. Part of me is wondering by
what mechanism can a the huge price differentials be maintained ( £815
versus £1009) for essentially a firmware difference.

Much the same way as a Mini One can be turned into a Cooper with a
software swap and yet the price differential is still maintained. The
average driver/fitter is probably not well enough clued up on these
things to cause a problem for the makers on a large scale.

How is the firmware held on the boiler (i.e. EPROM, Flash etc)?

In Hong Kong there is probably someone who sells grey market chip upgrades...

I was thinking more like a quick download from the 31kW one! ;-) (at
least that way they could not say you were not using genuine firmware)

Once they are out of the guarantee period the only obstacles would be
legalities of making such a mod.
Setting that matter aside there would be changes in the maximum permitted
flue lengths (almost certainly not an issue) and the sizing of the gas
supply pipes (almost certainly an issue in most places).