Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus Prometheus is offline

Default HArbor Freight Lathe

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 06:46:43 GMT, zap wrote:

I tell all of you out there these things because some of you with super
deep pockets and those with medium deep pockets tend to forget that when
a man tells you that he has only $200 to spend on a lathe, that he just
cannot spend more than that unless he stops eating, or stops buying his
medicine. Some of us do not even have a pocket. It becomes useless to
tell him that he should spend $100 more for a better quality lathe. He
knows, just as I do, that is true. But being that he cannot spend it,
just as I cannot, that it would be kinder to recommend the best that you
can in HIS price range.

Well said, and I can sympathize. Being on the other end of the
relative age scale, I clearly remember eating nothing but potatoes
(the only other viable option was Ramen noodles, and I hate those
things) for over six months when I was 18, and trying to pay the rent
and keep the lights on with a minimum wage salary. I do a lot better
for myself now, but those were days when my only woodworking was done
with a pocketknife and some determination. There were no options,
just the willingness to do whatever I could with what I had- and I
still have some of the things I made back then- they're not any worse
(and sometimes even much better) than what I now make with a shop full
of tools.

I do try to keep it in mind when suggesting ways for other people to
spend their money.

All that I ask is that you remember us poor ones when you give your good
answers. Please do not put down the poor guy who built and uses a pole
lathe because that may be all that he could afford. And always it is
better to have something than to have nothing.

Thank you for listening, I do learn much from your answers, even after
all these years. And who knows, perhaps one day one of my sons will
surprise me with one of those expensive wood lathes, and all the tools
that I could only dream of.

Well, hope your wish comes true- but in the meantime, if you have the
inclination, you could use that little Grizzly drill lathe to try your
hand at making a couple of pulleys, and maybe work your way into a
larger lathe. I know I'm currently working towards adding a machine
shop to my capabilities, but have a budget that will buy scrap, but
won't buy a mill- so learning everything I can, and making them myself
is the name of the game.