Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default What glue do you use when you need a longer setup time?

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 08:42:12 -0500, Dick Snyder wrote:

I got my info on Titebond Extend from the Sept 2004 issue of Wood
magazine that did some study on glue. They gave it an "F" for water
resistance (shouldn't be an issue for my project I hope) and low marks
for end grain to end grain gluing (I don't plan to do it on this
project) and they commented that you really need to stay clamped up for
quite awhile. None of these are killers for my particular project.

I don't see these as "negatives", they're characteristics of the kind of
glue it is. If they gave any glue "high marks" for end grain I'd be
interested in knowing what--end grain is notoriously difficult to glue
reliably and much of the art of joinery was developed to avoid this
necessity. "White" glues (the family to which most Titebond products
belong) in general have low water resistance--Titebond has managed to
improve it a great deal in some of their products but for any use that
involves regular wetting that class of glue is the wrong choice. As for
having to stay clamped up for "quite a while", well what do you expect?
The trade-off for long open time is long clamping time.

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
Dick Snyder wrote:
I have seen some references to Tightbond Extend but I also read some
negatives on this glue. What would you suggest?

Titebond Extend or 30+ minute epoxy, depending on the use of the item.

What negatives have you read about Extend?

--
X:\Newsreaders\sig.txt