Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default 2006 Contractor Tablesaw Upgrade- Enco?

On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 05:10:35 -0600, Prometheus wrote:

On 16 Nov 2006 10:54:21 -0800, "Chrisgiraffe"
wrote:

I wasn't aware of that C&E. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.
At the same time, not to sound too nationalistic, but does America
make anything anymore? :-( I hear all the time that we're a 'service
economy'. Is this "service" maintaining equipment made everywhere else
under the sun.

Yes, America still makes things. The trouble is largely at the home
consumer level. There are a lot of fine options for American industrial
equipment, and even a fair number of consumer products still made right
here- provided you're willing to pay for what something is actually
worth when it's made by a free person earning a living wage.

I'm with you on the "service economy" nonsense- I don't think that even
includes maintenance in most cases. As far as I can tell, it's
referring to short-order cooks and shelf stockers, though I have to hope
for all our sakes that it means something else.

Hate to tell you but it most assuredly does include maintenance. IBM
considers itself to be a service company and is considered to be part of
the service economy, and if you've ever had anything fixed under an IBM
service contract you'll know they're serious about it. Doctors and lawyers
and most other "professions" are providing services. If it's not making
something or moving something then it's probably a service.

--
X:\Newsreaders\sig.txt