Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dry lining bathroom wall

wrote:
Well, Simon has hit the nail on the head with his suggestion of an
extractor fan. Most old houses have problems with modern
bathing/showering changes. The amount of steam far exceeds that from
even 20 years ago. An extractor will usually help and also prevent the
horrible black mould appearing.

That said if you want to increase the warmth of the room then by all
means dryline the room. I would use 50mm battons nailed or screwed to
the wall at 400 or 600 centres with kingspan/celotex insulation in
between (I would put 100mm in new property, but 50mm will see a huge
improvement). Then be sure to use foil backed plasterboard. I like to
use plastic frame fixers with the floating piston inside to fix battons
to the wall.

Calum Sabey
(NewArk Traditional Kitchens 01556 690544)

Frankly I solved all condensation in one solid wall property bathroom
by lining with 3mm cork.

But what you are suggesting is infinitely better.

Will get the room up to modern insulation standards

And the fan is pretty essential too.