Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Bill is offline

Default HArbor Freight Lathe

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 15:27:39 +0000, cyrille de Brebisson wrote:

hello,

Does anyone have comment on the $200 lathe from Harbor Freight (sale
price)?

I have a limited budget and can not afford a $500 jet lathe, so for me
unless there is a better alternative in the sub $300 range, there is no
woodturning for me :-(

so, the question, is, knowing that it is a HF tool, is it worth it's
price? Also, what accessory will I need to purchase? I plan to do
spindle turning for furniture and small objects and my wife wants to
turn bowls...

thanks, cyrille

I own two. Get the extended warranty and make CERTAIN that you jump
through their stupid warranty registration hoops.

The lathe is a good deal.

A point worth noting: If the Reeves drive is stiff, it's bad. A good
Reeves drive operates smoothly.

The lathe comes with what you see in the picture. That's it. Lathe, stand,
spur and live centers.

You'll want a scroll chuck, tools, and some way to sharpen your tools.

I strongly recommend the HF tool set that frequently runs about $40. No
nifty brand name, no cachet, but I've been using mine for nearly two years
and they've stood up to the abuse this newbie has imposed. With practice,
they will turn bowls as thin as any other set of tools. I made two bowls
today from spalted box elder that you could use for lamp shades if need be.

If your wife is going to turn bowls you'll find a lathe-powered sander
very useful.

Get a decent respirator for both of you. PRONTO!
HF also has these for about $25. They are not top end ... top end runs
about $300 ... but they do meet the relevant gov't. standards and a $25
respirator today is worth more than a $300 respirator next year -- when
you can hardly breathe.

You're new to turning. If this lathe is the best you can afford just now
.... start here. To my way of thinking, it is better to make shavngs on a
low end lathe than to wait until you can afford to jump in at the deep end
of the pool only to find out that you don't like making shavings after
all.

I hope this helped.

Bill