Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] flb51notthis@comcast.net is offline

Default roof nails sticking up

Any time that I have seen roofing nails coming through the shingles
was caused by a pneumatic nailer not adjusted correctly. Most roofers
will hammer the nail heads flush to prevent this.

I would set the nails, if you can do so by lifting the tab (use a flat
bar or putty knife and slide it under the tab of the shingle) and
hitting the nail would be more preferable then hammering from the top
side.

Someone mentioned silicone, I would NEVER use it on a shingle. Use
roof cement, it will last longer and bond better.

-Lee

On 15 Nov 2006 14:23:42 -0800, "Chris" wrote:

I have budgeted myself to have a new roof installed within two years.
There is an small area of water damage in my bedroom that looked like
was attempted to be repaired by the previous owner, and had new water
damage once in two years.. I have noticed that there are nails

starting
to stick up under the shingles, and have even started to pop out

above
the shingles in a few places. I am having my garage roof replaced

next
week. I had several roofers out for estimates, and had them look at

the
house's roof with these problems. They said that the house's roof

does
not necessarily have to be replaced right away..

Should I tap back the nails and caulk them until I get the roof
replaced? Is that even necessary to do, and I can just ride out until
later on when I get the new roof put on?