Posted to rec.woodworking
George Max George Max is offline

Default 2006 Contractor Tablesaw Upgrade- Enco?

On 16 Nov 2006 10:54:21 -0800, "Chrisgiraffe"
wrote:

I wasn't aware of that C&E. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.
At the same time, not to sound too nationalistic, but does America
make anything anymore? :-( I hear all the time that we're a 'service
economy'. Is this "service" maintaining equipment made everywhere else
under the sun.

Sure. But things like the high end Powermatics. $3,000 or more.

I just bought a TS at Woodcraft. Made in Taiwan. What's interesting
is the fence (a Biesemeyer clone) is made in Canada as well as the
aftermarket miter gauge.

Enco has good stuff (Starrett, Mitutoyo) as well as not as nice stuff
(Fowler)

I really can't speak to any of their house brand table saws and such,
but my initial expectation would be quality similar to Harbor Freight.
Maybe I'm wrong and could be pleasantly surprised that the Enco stuff
is actually pretty good.

Anyway, if $400 is the your limit, why not search around for a good
used TS? Check your local paper, community papers, the bulletin board
at the grocery store. Or ask around. Someone always knows something.
You could also go to Sears and look at the Craftsman (gasp!) table
saws.

My own first table saw was a Craftsman. Over time, it became a really
decent saw mostly due to the addition of a Biesemeyer fence. And all
the other usual updates - zero clearance insert, steel pulleys and
link belt. I never did get around to upgrading the motor. The guy I
sold it too loves it. For him, it was an upgrade from benchtop
machine. Mind you, I started with a *stock* Craftsman saw and
upgraded it over time. In the end, I think it all came to around $900
to $950 in total. From one point of view, it would have been better
to spend the $950 up front and get a better overall machine, but let's
be honest, sometimes the bucks aren't there and ya do what ya gotta
do.