Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default telephone wiring problem

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 17:52:10 GMT, "Pop`"
wrote:

Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 21:57:13 -0500, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

Jud McCranie wrote:
First some background. Several months ago the phones in our house
went out. I figured out that it was a wiring problem inside the
house. I called the phone guy to fix it. He said that our phone
jacks are in series on two four-conductor cables. He said that
there was a short. At one of the phones (it must have been between
two of the phones), he switched to the other pair of conductors.
He said that if we had this problem again that we would lose the
use of one of the jacks, I think it was at the end of the line.

Recently our phones went out again, and rather than another
expensive call to the phone company, I decided to try to fix it
myself, thinking that it might be a similar problem. I
disconnected the wires to one of the jacks he had worked on, and
most of the jacks started working again. Only three jacks don't
work - the one where I made the disconnection and two more on that
end of the house. One of those two is apparently the end of the
line, since only one cable is leading to it (the other two jacks
have two cables).

I need to get one or two of the jacks on that end of the house
working again, if I can. The problem is that I can't tell which
cable is in or out. And if there is a pair of live conductors on
the in cable. The only equipment is a volt/ohm meter. Is there a
voltage across working conductors? If so, what should the voltage
be and is it AC or DC?

---
Replace you know what by j to email

You should see a dc voltage across a live pair. Anywhere from 15 to
50 volts.

I can measure 50VDC on my phoneline, plus about 75VAC when the phone
rings.

Jeff

Sounds reasonable. The 130Vac is superimposed on the 48VDC battery, so
normal meters have a hard time showing the numbers properly.

Could be. I should check that with an O-scope sometime.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"All your western theologies, the whole mythology of them,
are based on the concept of God as a senile delinquent."
-- Tennessee Williams