Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim Speedy Jim is offline

Default Closet Flange above floor

wrote:

The connection is not corroded at all. It looks pretty new to me. So
I should drill through the tile and into the subfloor? Should I shim
with would or use mortar?
Thanks!

I wouldn't use wood g. Maybe stack up
stainless washers under each screw hole.
Remember this has to last a looong time.

It's better to have the flange flush, but
I hate to disturb a leaded flange .
Check the space under the toilet to see
that there will be maybe 3/8" to 1/2"
clearance between top of flange and the
toilet clay/porcelain. You need free
space for the wax ring to compress and
adhere properly.

Speedy Jim wrote:

wrote:

I have a tile file on top of a cement floor sub floor. The closet
flange is about 1/4" off the floor. Does it need to be flushe with the
floor or will this cause problems? And should the flange be secured to
the flooring? If so, what type of screws should I use? I believe the
flange is a brass fitting to a lead pipe...

You have to be very careful where a brass flange is
soldered to a lead "closet bend". After 40 years or so,
the leaded connection can get corroded. Scrape the joint
and inspect with a bright light source.

If it looks solid, shim under the flange and drill
for stainless screws into the slab. Do this in a
way that won't stress the solder.

Another way is to remove the brass flange, then
install an expansion flange like:
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/toiletflanges.html
(scroll to bottom)
If the lead bend is round and has enough vertical
section these work well.

Jim