Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
Ancient_Hacker Ancient_Hacker is offline

Default Modem Phone line filter

Bob Urz wrote:
Anybody got a good resource on how to build a phone line filter?
I am near a AM radio tower and its really killing my dial up modem
at times. I tried a DSL filter in line. but i think the AM band is
not getting attenuated enough to do much good.

A DSL filter should do an excellent job, knocking down the AM band by
at least 25 decibels.

Try plugging in a phone instead of the modem and listen carefully, with
and without the DSL filter. The DSL filter should make a huge
difference. If it helps, but you can still hear the radio station, put
a second DSL filter inline.

If the filter doesnt make much difference, then the audio detection is
happening somewhere else, perhaps in another phone or your phone entry
box signal limiters. Try unplugging the other phones one at a time and
see if that makes any difference.

If that doesnt find anything, you might have to put a dsl filter
BEFORE the entry box or AFTER the entry box.