Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod LRod is offline

Default Zero clearance insert for Craftsman table saw

On 16 Nov 2006 10:45:08 -0800, "RayV" wrote:

Bob Mill wrote:
That's kinda was I was thinking, but here's a dumb question. Since
they old insert clipped into the table, but plywood insert isn't going
to be able to do that. How do you guys secure your homemade insert
into the opening?

Mine just sits in there on the four 'feet' that protrude into the
opening. You could wrap some tape around the perimieter of your
existing a few times so that when you rout it will be slightly
oversized. Then sand for a snug fit.

In the OP, the OP said he had one of those benchtop saws. The inserts
in those are generally A) very thin (even thinner than my old
Crapsman), and 2) don't have the traditional four 'feet' that the
bigger boys do. A method for securing the insert may need to be a
little more sophisticated than for larger saws.

To answer Bob Mill's question, those of us rolling our own on the big
iron generally put a pin (clipped off nail) at the back of the insert
which slides under the saw table (which is essentially what the OEM
inserts have/do). That holds down the rear. Since all the force on the
front of the insert is from the descending teeth on the front of the
blade, the insert has no inclination to rise at the front.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.