Posted to alt.home.repair

Default my poor garbage disposal

wrote:
I run latex paint down the drains all the time when I'm cleaning
brushes and stufff.... just run a tremendous amount of water to dilute
the stuff.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm sure I'm violating some sort of
environmental law somewhere.

As far as acetone goes...that stuff is wicked strong. I can't imagine
it doing anything good to your disposal or pipes.

Here's my solution, make sure there isn't a spoon or rag in there
before you go to much trouble. (UNPLUG IT FIRST, THEN PROVE IT SAFE BY
OPERATING THE SWITCH. Treat putting your hand in a gargage disposal
the same as a loaded gun.)
If that isn't the case, take the disposal off and take it apart if you
can. (loosen the three screws, usually slot head, from the bottom...the
unit will rotate then fall right off. There's probably illustrations
online if you're concerned) Once the disposal is taken down and apart,
you'll see your acrylic paint all over the the blade impeller
thingymajig. At this point, start cutting it away from the shaft until
the blades rotate freely.

Then pat yourself on the back, you've successfully colored the blades
of your disposal.

Also note, new disposals aren't that expensive. It may be time for a
new one anyhow if yours doesn't have a hex lug on the bottom to clear a
jam. I find this a useful feature once a month.

Unless this was some kind of super paint, my vote is that the paint is
unrelated to the problem. I think a disposal is enclosed enough and
wet enough that it's unlikely paint could dry that much overnight.
Plus, you'd normally run water at the same time, or to rinse off
brushes, etc, wouldn't you? That would carry most of it away and leave
the rest real thinned out. You wouldn't just pour a quart of paint in
and leave it, would you?