Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] maradcliff@UNLISTED.com is offline

Default Broken garage door spring

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 18:02:25 -0500, RW wrote:

So I have a broken torsion spring in my overhead 16 foot door. I
called several door repair companies and got quite a range of prices
to repair. Anyone have a spring replaced lately, what did the job
cost?

If you are talking about a long spring on each side of the door,
replace it yourself. Its easy, raise door, prop it up with some 2x4s
and replace the sucker while the door is up. Just be sure to use the
the same connection method as before. While you are at it, replace
the other one or your door wont open evenly. If you got one of those
shafts above the door with a wound spring, hire someone. Why do you
ask the price on here. We dont know, call local contractors, choose
the cheapest that offers a warranty, ask for references. Asking
prices on a newsgroup is just plain stupid. For all we know you live
in Europe and need the price in pounds, not dollars.

Mark