Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Old Gernanium Transistor Repair

Michael A. Terrell spake thus:

Michael Black wrote:

Jim Land ) writes:

wrote in news:1163387574.804150.266160
:

I have an old 8 gernamium transistor, protable AM radio that is noisy
on weak stations when cold....

Try over on alt.antiques.radio+phono... they'll enjoy hearing about your
germanium transistors.

I don't know. There has been debate in the past over there about what's
relevant to the newsgroup, and some have felt transistors aren't old
enough.

Some of them think that A****er Kent radios are too new for that
group. Ignore them, there are a number of transistor radio collectors
in that group. I have most of the "Sams Transistor Radio Manuals" in my
collection: http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.terrell/HWSTm.html The Sams
index is available online.

Which implies that, at least sometime in the past, there were those who
repaired those radios. Did they? I remember when those things appeared
on the market, and I always thought of them as disposable items. Did
people actually take them in to be fixed?

you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge.

- Matthew White's WikiWatch (http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/wikiwoo.htm)