Posted to misc.consumers.house
[email protected] moon.kj@gmail.com is offline

Default the roof is leaking in my new house, who's responsible? the inspector?

Hi, i'm just having a hard time figuring out who is responsible for the

leaky roof. I really hope someone can help me on this.
The situation is like this...

We bought a house (about 7 years old) in Surrey, BC, and moved in about

4 weeks ago(at the end of October).
We did a house inspection(at the end of August) in the process of the
home purchase, turned out to be fine.
But the problem occured after it started to rain in this area.
The roof is now leaking, and about 3-4 feet of the moulding along the
bottom of the master room is swelled and wet.
The carpet near that part is soaking wet too.
So, we called the inspector again. The inspector said the vinyl
underneath the roof is probably ripped or something that.
And he was like ...........it's not like the roof is rotten or broken
somewhere, that's why he couldn't catch that, and no one can find it.

Our realtor says it's the inspectors responsibility.
But the inspector says no one is able to catch that kind of problem
because the roof seemed fine from the outside and it wasn't leaking
when he did the inspection.(it wasn't rainy, that's why!)

The realtor said we could sue the inspector, but we really don't want
to take that kind of action.
I am really lost and don't know what to do and who to talk to. Who's
really responsible here? Any idea?
Any help would be appreciated.