Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Sony Discman -- skiips on upper tracks

"Dan Dubosky" wrote in message
To say that it skips on the upper tracks may be inaccurate. What happens
is that the time display disappears along with the sound, but the track
number remains displayed. After a few seconds the time display reappears
with the sound only to have the whole process repeat.

My analysis of the problem stands, and I still feel that the first place to
go, is to a proper and thorough clean and relube of the slides and drive.
The time display disappearing tells you that the servo has lost lock, and
valid data is no longer being recovered from the disc. Under no
circumstances should you adjust the pot on the laser. It is not a valid
adjustment, and even a small misadjustment can result in permanent laser
damage. The screws are standard counter-clockwise undo, and I can't remember
ever having had a problem getting them out on any of the many Discman models
that I've worked on, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to why yours won't undo.
You could try going clockwise first. Might break any kind of seal that has
formed for whatever reason ?? Sometimes also, a shock will get a screw on
the move. Locate the screwdriver tip in the screw head, then give it a firm
clout with a pair of heavy pliers or whatever comes to hand on the bench,
then try rotating the screw again in either direction.

Arfa