Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dan Dubosky Dan Dubosky is offline

Default Sony Discman -- skiips on upper tracks

Thanks.
I did try lubricating the worm drive, but that didn't seem to have any
effect. I thought that by taking it apart, I could lubricate the slides a
little better, but even though I am using a jeweler's screwdriver with a
pliers attached, I just can't budge them. They do have normal clockwise
threads, don't they?

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Dan Dubosky" wrote in message
I have a Sony Discman CD Compact Player, model D-E301, which skips on the
upper tracks. On a disc with 17 tracks, it starts to skip a little on
track 15 and gets worse on 16 and 17. I've already cleaned the lens with
some alcohol. Any suggestions?

I've never had this thing apart and today I tried getting it apart by
attempting to take out the small Phillips head screws on the bottom, each
of which has an arrow next to it. Seeing the arrows, makes one think
that these screws are removable, but I cannot remove them. Are they
glued in?

Thanks,
Dan

This usually indicates one of two problems. First, the sled drive worm or
slides are dry and sticky. This usually shows up on a long disc, as the
area where the laser has to go to, right at the outer edge of the disc, is
somewhere that it doesn't usually go on average length discs, so the
lubrication never gets 'circulated' and distributed around the moving
parts, so has a tendency to collect dust, dry out and go sticky.

The other problem that can show up on long discs, is spindle motor or
spindle servo troubles. This is because the further the track is towards
the end of the disc, the slower the disc rotates, so any tendency for the
motor speed to be erratic, shows up worse, to the point where data loss is
beyond the level that the auto-correction can cope with, so the servos
start to lose lock, skipping being the result.

Occasionally, you can get similar problems with a weak laser, but this
more usually results in poor playability and shock resistance, throughout
the whole disc.

The first move would definitely be to clean and relube the laser slides
and drive. The screws marked with arrows are the right ones, and I don't
know why you should be having any problem getting them out. They certainly
aren't glued, but you will need a good quality jeweller's philips to not
damage their heads. Many of the Sonys are also clipped together, so even
with the screws out, you might need to insert a thin scalpel blade between
the case halves, to seperate them. The deck is usually not secured once
you are inside. It just lifts off the plastic pegs, but be *very* careful
of the flexiprint connections to the deck. They are quite delicate, and
can easily tear.

Arfa