Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dan Dubosky Dan Dubosky is offline

Default Sony Discman -- skiips on upper tracks

The screwdriver is a jewelers screwdriver of good quality and even trying to
turn the screw with a pliers attached to the screwdriver does not permit
turning. I have not damaged the heads of the screws, but they certainly are
not yielding.

"Adrian C" wrote in message
Dan Dubosky wrote:
I have a Sony Discman CD Compact Player, model D-E301, which skips on the
upper tracks. On a disc with 17 tracks, it starts to skip a little on
track 15 and gets worse on 16 and 17. I've already cleaned the lens with
some alcohol. Any suggestions?

Goto http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_Repair.html and find the pages for
Compact Disc Players and CDROM Drives. There is a section on skipping.

I've never had this thing apart and today I tried getting it apart by
attempting to take out the small Phillips head screws on the bottom, each
of which has an arrow next to it. Seeing the arrows, makes one think
that these screws are removable, but I cannot remove them. Are they
glued in?

Unlikely. Does the screw heads turn or are you missing it with your
oversized screwdriver, and gouging into plastic instead?

--
Adrian C